Sunday, 1 April 2007

Stanchion Modification

The rear SB stanchion had an argument with a Norfolk Island pine branch during the transport to the launch site and lost, it snapped about 200 mm up from the deck after bending 90 degrees. I repaired it by laminating an inner tube in, but to no avail as soon after someone used it to pull the boat in while mooring and it broke above the repair.

In considering a fix, I took my inability to tension the life lines properly (due to the whippyness of the carbon stanchions) into account and settled on using stainless steel stanchions fore and aft. By returning the aft stanchion to the sloping edge it also functions as a handrail whilst boarding from the marina pontoon.

I was able to tension the lifelines satisfactorily and they will now support my weigth without bending out unduly.

I also provide eyes to clip on my rear safety lines that run in front of the targa and these provide additional lateral support

4 comments:

Lance said...

I'm just now getting around to seeing the blog site after a hectic schedule. Everything looks good. I see the new rail is looking sharp. I will definitly bypass the carbon stanchions route. Seem to have a problem logging in since the new changes. hope this comes out OK.
Regards

Unknown said...

Hey Amigo,

Barry in Seattle. Love the Blog, will keep it in my favorites and keep up with your progress. Living the dream you are--jealous as all hell. Fair winds and all, kiss a dolphin for me. B

Unknown said...

Hey Amigo,

Barry in Seattle. Love the Blog, will keep it in my favorites and keep up with your progress. Living the dream you are--jealous as all hell. Fair winds and all, kiss a dolphin for me. B

plastic stanchions said...

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master
http://www.stanchionexperts.com